Young Lance is Gladstone's own spelling prodigy
MEET THE grade 3 Gladstone South State School student who recently took home the 2015 International Competitions and Assessments for School Spelling medal.
Although Lance Millario is only in primary school, he can spell at a grade 8 level and is still working his way up the word list.
Lance sat the 2015 ICAS test and did exceptionally well in all areas taking home the top speller of his grade across the state.
"The test was pretty easy," Lance said.
"I was doing okay until I got stuck on the word 'exhibition', I struggled with that word.
"I practiced every night for the test and I'm going to keep practicing so I get even better."
Lance even compiled his own list of spelling words which he practices every night.
"I wanted my own list of words to work on, so I flipped through my teacher's dictionary and picked out the most difficult looking words," he said.
"I'm also still learning some of the grade 8 level words, but they are getting easier now."
Principal Kurt Goodwin said all of the students who sat the test received great results.
"We are very proud of all of our students," he said.
"We got a lot of distinctions, which automatically places a student in the top 10% of the specific area.
"Lance placed in the top 1% for spelling, which is really fantastic."
Although spelling is his forte, Lance said his favorite subject was maths.
"I like maths because it's hard but there's always something new."
"It feels really great to be Queensland's top speller in my grade, but I'm going to keep practicing every night and adding new words to my list."
Could you spell these tricky words?
- butyraceous: (adj) having the qualities of butter or yielding or containing a substance like butter
- eccentricities: (n) strange qualities
- Czechoslovakia: (n) country in Central Europe
- prospicience: (n) the act of looking forward; foresight
- cymotrichous: (adj) having wavy hair
- acquiesce: (v) submit or comply reluctantly but without protest
- logorrhea: (n) communication disorder of extreme talkativeness
- encephalon: (n) higher nervous centers of the brain
- succedaneum: (n) a substitute, especially for a medicine or drug
- malfeasance: (n) conduct by a public official that violates the public trust or is against the law