Gladstone region venues gear up for busy Cup day
IT'S that time of year again, the race that stops the nation.
The Melbourne Cup race will be held on Tuesday and there's no shortage of things to do around Gladstone for those who have managed to gain a day off.
The Harvey Road Tavern will be one of many pubs around town entertaining the keen punters.
Throughout the day, they will have a hot food buffet on offer, sweeps, raffles and prizes, with Zinc's Rob Kidd emceeing.
"We've sold 150 tickets so far, and we have another 50 still for sale," manager Paul Flinn said.
As for his tips for the big race, he said not to disregard the English imports.
Some of the event's proceeds will go to the Variety Foundation Queensland.
Tickets are $100 each.
Melbourne Cup race day events
- Gladstone Entertainment Convention Centre Luncheon from 11am - 4pm, tickets are $85. All proceeds donated to Parkinsons Australia and the National Breast Cancer Foundation.
- The Yacht Club will have drink specials and sweeps running from 10am - 4pm.
- Tannum Sands Hotel hot and cold buffet, prizes for best dressed and fascinator, sweeps and giveaways. The Mangs perform from 2.30pm - 6.30pm. Tickets are $55.
- Gladstone Turf Club Melbourne Cup race event.
- The Reef Hotel Melbourne Cup event.
- Melbourne Cup Luncheon at the Agnes Water Tavern, tickets $60 each, fashions, raffles, sweeps, buffet lunch and champagne.
Call the appropriate businesses for ticket availability and more information.