Russell Scifleet, the owner and operator of Scifleet School Buses.
Russell Scifleet, the owner and operator of Scifleet School Buses. Rob Black

Vandals trash school buses

VANDALS trashed six of eight Agnes Water school buses causing about $300,000 of damage in a senseless attack at the weekend.

School children were left with no way to get to school yesterday as the community reeled at the news the school buses, worth between $300,000 to $400,000, were all but destroyed.

Police were called to the Jobson Rd bus depot on Saturday evening after the owner's son discovered the damage to the buses.

Agnes Water police were called and began inquiries.

The police forensic unit from Gladstone was also called and attended the scene on Sunday to continue the investigation.

Senior Constable Simon Burns of Agnes Water police said no one had been charged but police were interviewing two people in relation to the matter.

Agnes Water Buses and Scifleet School Buses owner and operator Russell Scifleet said the wanton destruction had affected the whole community with some children, who travelled long distances to get to school, left without any transportation.

"The kids can't get to school, the drivers can't drive and we've got hundreds of thousands of dollars damage to six buses and I'm not sure how much the insurance will cover," Mr Scifleet said.

Mr Scifleet was in Bundaberg attending another son's indoor cricket final on Saturday, but he returned home immediately after hearing the news.

"I'd never seen anything like it and the police said the same," he said.

"It was shocking.

"I'm in breach of my contract to get kids to school today, because of this.

"Hopefully we'll get back-up and struggle through to the school holidays."

Mr Scifleet said there was about $150,000 in glass alone that needed to be replaced.


Saturday morning: Bus owner drives to Bundaberg

1pm: Neighbours hear noises at depot

2pm to 5pm: Noise continues as vandals trash buses

5.30pm: Owner's son discovers damage

6pm: Police arrive to see devastation

Saturday evening: Owner arrives home to wrecked business