Valleys take 56-0 win, call off match 20 mins before siren

VALLEYS knocked Wallabys out of the Gladstone rugby league A-grade competition on Sunday afternoon in bizarre fashion, the match finishing 20 minutes before the final hooter.

Already down 56-0, the Wallabys players asked Valleys if they wanted to continue playing, or call off the match.

Valleys coaching staff and players immediately accepted the offer and the win, not wanting to continue when there was nothing to be gained.

"The only thing we were going to achieve was injuries," Valleys coach Andrew Hamilton said.

Wallabys entered the match with only 13 players, struggling to slow Valleys advances at any stage in the match.

To begin the second half, the match fell into a slow, sloppy and unentertaining rhythm.

Wallabys coach Dan Kerr said it was a disappointing way to end the year, and the 13 players who turned up could only be commended for their efforts.

"It is sad, it really is, that is ends up like this," Kerr said.

"These guys are only here because they love the club," he said.

"I told them at half time that I wouldn't make them go back out.

"They wanted to, but about 50 points was enough."

Hamilton agreed with Kerr, not wanting to unnecessarily embarrass his opponents when the players on the park were clearly giving their all.

He also didn't want to see one of the Wallabys, or his own team, injured when the match was over and nothing left to play for.

Hamilton and Valleys will turn their attention to a finals match with Tannum Sands, while the Wallabys club will consider what teams they can field in next year's competition after a short break.

"We have four or five to come back from injury and the Capras next week," Hamilton said.

"We have a good record against Tannum sands so hopefully we can win.

"I have no doubt we can figure in the premiership match."

Valleys and Tannum Sands will meet on Sunday afternoon at Marley Brown Oval.

The winner will challenge reigning premiers Brothers in the grand final on August 30.