Tubby tells cricket bosses to make call
MARK Taylor hopes this week brings a final decision on cricket's Twenty20 World Cup, suggesting if the Indian Premier League claims that spot on the calendar then Australian players will be cleared to take part.
The International Cricket Council's board meets on May 28 to discuss a host of COVID-19 dilemmas, including a revamped schedule and the fate of the men's T20 World Cup.
Cricket Australia chief executive Kevin Roberts has flagged that a call on the tournament, which is slated to run from October 18 until November 15 in Australia, may potentially not come until August.
Relive the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 on KAYO. Watch complete and condensed replays of the biggest matches. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >
However players and administrators around the world are keen for some certainty and many expect the 16-team event will soon be postponed.
"It would probably be good (if a decision is made this week)," Taylor, a former national captain and CA director, said.
"Because then everyone can start planning and we can stop sitting here and saying 'well ifs, buts or maybes'.
"My feeling is the World T20 won't go ahead in Australia in October as planned. "Is it going to be viable to have a world tournament in October or November? The answer to that is probably no."
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is eyeing the window set aside for the World Cup with interest, having indefinitely postponed its $820 million domestic T20 league.
The BCCI has remained diplomatic, publicly suggesting they will not consider new IPL dates until the World Cup's fate is decided, but there is no doubting the clout of the cricket superpower.
CA incurred the ire of India during last year's bungled schedule negotiations, but Roberts and CA chairman Earl Eddings have since repaired the relationship. Roberts is desperate to ensure Virat Kohli's team arrive for this summer's planned Test tour that will deliver cash-strapped CA a much-needed boost of $300 million.
Pat Cummins, who was bought for a record $3.2 million in last year's IPL auction, is among the Australians understandably keen to take part in this year's competition.
CA would ordinarily refuse to release players for a T20 league that clashes with Australia's home summer, but these are not normal times and a stack of superstars could bypass the start of the Sheffield Shield season to play in the IPL.
"The Cricket Australia board will want to keep India happy. So they may want to let the players go to India if the IPL goes ahead," Taylor said. "Because they want India to come here this summer and play, which will be our biggest summer in terms of dollars.
"That's the sort of discussion going on. No doubt."
The UAE looms as a likely venue for the IPL if India is not in a position to host because of ongoing concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.