House blew down? Not a disaster, Mt Larcom family told
THE Brough family of Mount Larcom suffered serious damage to their home from ex-Tropical Cyclone Marcia, and were further distraught after discovering they were not eligible for government assistance.
The front of their home they had lived in since 2002 is without a wall.
There was nothing they could do but watch their front window and wall fly away.
Patricia Brough attempted to get support from the Natural Disaster Relief, but found out that Mt Larcom residents were not eligible.
That was, until late yesterday when The Observer followed up with Gladstone MP Glenn Butcher who assured us Mount Larcom and Bracewell had been added to the list.
The family of five were at the back of their home on Friday night, when they heard a "bang then felt a huge breeze".
Without home insurance they are still unsure of how and when their home will be fixed.
"I was dumbstruck when I found out," Ms Brough said.
"I thought, 'That'd be right, our area is forgotten again'."
The family had lived in the home since 2002, and had experienced floods and cyclones before.
"I thought we were going to get blown away. We ended up huddling in the bath tub.
"I've been in category one and two cyclones before, and even a tornado in the mid 80s, but it was nothing like this," she said.
But the family remains optimistic, saying they were one of the "lucky ones".
On Sunday night their power was restored, but many other Mount Larcom residents were still without electricity yesterday.
"There's been a couple of people who have also had some damage to their homes, and if we don't stand up to this, nothing is ever going to happen and nobody will know about the damage we've had," she said.