Tears at Tannum's unexpected haul of five medals
TANNUM Sands Surf Life Saving Club's juniors have returned from the state championships in Maroochydore with five medals, beating last year's total of four.
Three silvers and two bronze were the haul for the club.
Heading into the event, most of the athletes were hopeful of finals and had not dreamed of winning medals.
The results show Tannum Sands is capable of competing with the strongest clubs from all over Queensland.
After winning a silver medal in beach flags last year, Sophie Duff was one of the sprinters who won a silver at this year's Queensland Youth Surf Life Saving Championships.
She said after winning silver on the weekend the team members were unable to hold in their emotions.
"We were crying and screaming for about 20 minutes," she said. "Our mums were all crying too."
To get reactions from all the competitors who won medals on the Sunshine Coast, pick up a copy of Thursday's Observer.
- Silver: U12 Girls Beach Sprint Relay - Sophie Duff, Jessie Singh, Georgia Bell and Charlie Elliott
- Silver: U14 Boys Board Race - Ryan Bebendorf
- Silver: U14 Boys Ironman - Ryan Bebendorf
- Bronze: U11 Boys Board Rescue - Tristan McClure and Coby Richardson
- Bronze: U15 Girls Beach Flags - Sidney Blake