Curtis Island progress easy to see as milestones are met

SOME of the most visual elements of the Curtis Island projects have been completed in what was a big year for Bechtel.

Bechtel general manager Kevin Berg said a number of major milestones were reached, including receiving the last modules for the Queensland Curtis LNG project and first modules for the GLNG and Australia Pacific LNG projects.

He said raising the LNG tank roofs on the projects was a major milestone in the construction of the $60 billion worth of plants.

A constant stream of 134 modules arriving to site also changed the face of the three projects.

"The modules, which make up the major components of the LNG trains, form the main structure of the processing component of the plants and put us around halfway with the overall module program," he said.

"We also reached the major milestone of 300 apprentices employed across the Curtis Island LNG projects.

"Eight adult apprentices, who commenced have completed their trade qualifications to date and are working in various roles across the site."

He said being recognised at the Queensland and Australian Training Awards was also a great achievement.

It was also a big year for the Port of Gladstone, which experienced another year of significant growth in 2013.

Port trade throughput is averaging at historically record levels, and whilst coal prices remain low compared to recent times, the demand for GPC's services through both of its coal terminals remains strong.

Coal accounts for about 70% of total Gladstone port trade, while the remaining 30% of trade includes alumina, grain, cement, petroleum and containerised products.

The $1.3 billion Western Basin dredging project was completed in September after two years, removing a total of 21 million cubic metres of spoil.