Severe thunderstorm warning for Capricornia region
A SEVERE thunderstorm warning has been issued by the Bureau of Meteorology for many regions within Queensland.
Severe thunderstorms on Tuesday afternoon are likely to produce damaging winds, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and large hailstones over the next several hours.
Areas affected include the Wide Bay and Burnett, parts of the Central Highlands and Coalfields, Capricornia, Maranoa and Warrego, Darling Downs, Granite Belt and South-east Coast districts.
Locations which may be affected include Warwick, Toowoomba, Ipswich, Kingaroy, Biloela, Stanthorpe, Taroom, Monto and Baralaba.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by the Bureau of Meteorology at 4:40 pm.