Residents angry over closure of paths to second beach
A GROUP of Tannum Sands residents are frustrated that their local beach access has been closed off for good.
The paths to second beach on Colyer Avenue and The Oaks Rd are cordoned off with bunting, but that hasn't stopped people from using it.
Last month the shower was removed, which has annoyed users.
"I think there was no real reason to take the shower away. People were using it all the time," resident Marco Beretta said.
The Gladstone Regional Council has stated the closure of paths were for safety and environmental reasons.
"As safety remains an ongoing concern, the paths are being permanently closed," Gladstone Mayor Gail Sellers said.
"The dune area will be revegetated to create a buffer zone that will assist with beach protection."
Cr Sellers said the shower and tap were disconnected and would be reinstalled beside the nearest northern beach access, which is 170m from the previous location.
"One tap remains in use at the site where the previous shower and tap were located," she said.
Resident Colleen Platten has started an online petition on change.org against the closure and lack of community consultation.
"Why do it? Why not just tidy it up?" she said.
Cr Sellers said alternative access was available elsewhere and residents were notified of council's intent.
"Correspondence was sent to nearby residents on May 3," she said.
Mr Beretta said the council should have just left it alone.
"The car park, they have just gone and cleaned up, they refreshed the lines," he said.
"It is ridiculous that we can live this close to beach, but we've lost the access point that was right there."