Highway fixes wanted but delays cost business
ROAD users are dismayed that the Bruce Hwy reconstruction will continue for a decade.
Acting Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said on Wednesday that the Bruce Hwy will be a construction zone for the next 10 years.
Freight companies say the delays were costing them big bucks.
Gladrock Transport says each of its five daily services have been delayed since flood reconstruction works began on the highway.
"They've blown us out anywhere between half an hour and 45 minutes," owner Jason Busk said.
"I'd scream and curl up in a corner if I had to put a cost on it."
Gladrock Transport driver Julie Ziebell felt the roadworks were needed, but said in the short term it was causing a lot of pain.
Bruce Hwy road users say something needs to be done to mitigate the delays, especially when no end is in sight.
Truck driver Darren Rice uses the Bruce Highway north of Gladstone four times every day.
"It costs us two hours every day, and in diesel it's about an extra 10% (more)," he said.
Brisbane man Rob Weston works in Gladstone and flies home after his shifts, but said he would drive if the highway south of Gladstone was in better condition.
"I want them to dual lane it," he said.
Boyne Island man Tim Rayner drives to Rockhampton regularly.
"The roadworks put a lot of strain on a lot of people," he said.
A Transport and Main Roads spokeswoman said no funding had been allocated for a dual carriageway on the Bruce Hwy, and urged motorists to be patient.
"The Bruce Highway has suffered major damage due to floods in 2010, 2012 and 2013," she said.
"The Gladstone area has also experienced significant growth in recent years and road infrastructure needs to keep pace."
The story so far:
2010, 2012 and 2013: floods damage Bruce Hwy
2013-2014: $560 million allocated to Central Queensland for:
- Calliope Crossroads intersection upgrade
- Yeppen North and South projects
- Eight Mile Creek realignment (Bajool)
- George and Albert Street intersection