Qld health programs spared from federal cuts
PREVENTATIVE health care programs across regional Queensland have been given a $14.2 million reprieve after the State Government decided to make up the shortfall in funding after federal cuts.
Ten programs with an uncertain future after June, 2015, will have their funding guaranteed this year as a result of the announcement.
The programs faced the axe after Federal Treasurer Joe Hockey plans in last month's federal budget to scrap funding towards the National Partnership Agreement on Preventative Health.
Queensland Health Minister Lawrence Springborg said on Wednesday the State Government would campaign strongly to have funding reinstated for programs listed under the agreement.
"While the state hesitated to spread its health resources even further, it was necessary to provide some relief for Queenslanders reliant on programmes affected by the sudden changes," he said.
"This means that non-government organisations, health services and universities will not suffer any reduction in payments in 2014-15 for their preventative health partner projects, and that the good work being done to improve childhood and worker health will continue.
"These programs were particularly important in creating healthy behaviours in children, setting them up for a lifetime of good health and wellbeing, and also addressing people in the workplace where many of us spend two-thirds or more of our time."
The National Partnership Agreement on Preventive Health funded programs such as PEACH, the Good Start Program, Workplaces for Wellness, Get Healthy, Food for Sport, and Learning Eating Active Play Sleep.