Virgil van Dijk and Fabinho’s faces said it all after Liverpool’s draw with Everton
Virgil van Dijk and Fabinho’s faces said it all after Liverpool’s draw with Everton

Wasteful Reds hand ascendancy to City after derby deadlock

The Premier League title is now in Manchester City's hands, after Liverpool slipped to second following a 0-0 Merseyside derby draw with Everton.

Despite some big chances for Mohamed Salah, the Reds failed to break the deadlock and now will rely on City slipping up in the final nine matches of the season if they're to break a 29-year drought.

Elsewhere, Kepa Arrizabala returned to goals for Chelsea as the Blues escaped Fulham with a 2-1 victory in Scott Parker's first game in charge of the Cottagers.

There was also a victory for Watford, as Brendan Rodgers tasted a 2-1 defeat in his first match at the helm of Leicester City.



Liverpool were left to regret two huge missed chances by Mohamed Salah as Everton held out for a 0-0 draw in the Merseyside derby on Sunday.

Jurgen Klopp's men now trail champions Manchester City by a point at the top of the Premier League with nine games remaining.

Salah was denied by Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford and a last-ditch challenge by Michael Keane either side of half-time as Liverpool dropped points for the fourth time in six league games.


Fabinho was also guilty of wasting a big opportunity 21 minutes from time as Lucas Digne cleared when the Brazilian took an age to control Virgil van Dijk's knockdown.

Everton remain without a win in the Merseyside derby stretching back to 2010, but may have done enough to stop their local rivals from winning the title for the first time in 29 years.

Salah has now scored just once in his past six matches and wasted by a distance the best chance for either side from the sort of situation he finished with ease in a 44-goal debut season at Anfield last year.


Jorginho scored an absolute cracker for Chelsea
Jorginho scored an absolute cracker for Chelsea


Maurizio Sarri declared the Kepa Arrizabalaga controversy was over after the Chelsea goalkeeper began to make amends for his Wembley mutiny with an impressive display in Sunday's 2-1 win at Fulham.

Sarri's side took the lead through Gonzalo Higuain before Calum Chambers equalised at Craven Cottage.

In an incident-packed first half, the much-maligned Jorginho restored Chelsea's lead with his first goal since the opening weekend of the season.

Chelsea were indebted to Kepa for a series of superb saves that preserved their lead after the break, lifting the sixth-placed Blues within two points of fourth-placed Manchester United, with a game in hand.


Sarri had dropped Kepa for Chelsea's 2-0 win over Tottenham on Wednesday as punishment for the Spaniard's refusal to be substituted during last weekend's League Cup final defeat against Manchester City.

But Sarri had insisted Kepa remained his "first choice" and the world's most expensive keeper returned in place of Willy Caballero after his one-game demotion.



Brendan Rodgers saw Leicester concede a goal in the opening five minutes of his first match in charge before letting in an injury- time goal to lose 2-1 to Watford in the Premier League on Sunday. Rodgers is back in England's top flight for the first time since October 2015 - when he was fired by Liverpool - following his appointment from Scottish champion Celtic as Claude Puel's replacement earlier this week.

And it looked like being a respectable start to his Foxes reign as Jamie Vardy's 10th goal of the season canceled out Troy Deeney's early header. But the game ended in the same way as it started as Andre Gray struck in the closing moments to inflict an opening defeat on Rodgers and deliver a fourth win from five for the eighth-placed Hornets.

Rodgers, who opted to leave Celtic despite going for a third straight treble, could not have envisaged a worse start to his tenure when Deeney headed home Gerard Deulofeu's free-kick from close range for the Watford striker's eighth goal of the season.

Leicester almost gained from an outrageous piece of luck in the 75th minute as Wilfred Ndidi's wayward cross got caught in the wind and sailed over Ben Foster and onto the crossbar.