Aaron Flynn
Aaron Flynn

Desperate family hires helicopter to search for Aaron

BREAKING: Aaron Flynn's desperate family has hired a private helicopter to extend the search for the missing Caloundra man.

Aaron's sister, Renee Napthali said police had called off the helicopter search as it was more than a week since he disappeared near Rubyvale, north west of Emerald last Friday, November 11.

Caloundra resident Aaron Flynn
Caloundra resident Aaron Flynn Contributed

He was travelling from the Coast to Charters Tower to attend his uncle's funeral, but was believed to have run out of fuel near Rubyvale.

He was last seen walking with a jerry can along the road.

Ms Napthali praised police and rescue crews for their efforts to find her brother on the weekend before calling it off, but said the family was not willing to give up hope.

"Police followed protocol, they conducted a search for two days. They used the RACQ helicopter in a 15 kilometre radius.

"We feel this was a small area when you are talking two towns that are 150kms apart.

"We understand (the helicopter) costs a lot for the state. Police did a great job for the first couple of days.

"They had to call it off at some point.

"But we are not giving up."

Aaron Flynn
Aaron Flynn

The family has not set up a Gofundme page to help raise the $900 an hour it will cost for a private helicopter.

"We like to keep Gofundme for families that are struggling, who have sick children.

"Frankly, money is the last thing on my mind.

"We have a family member that is missing, we don't care what it costs, we will exhaust every option to find him."

A witness saw Aaron, 29, walking along the road with a jerry can.

He had been driving up to Charters Towers as "my dad's younger brother passed away".

"It hasn't been a good few weeks for the family," Ms Napthali said.

Volunteers search for missing Caloundra man Aaron Flynn.
Volunteers search for missing Caloundra man Aaron Flynn.

They also found evidence Aaron had eaten before heading off with the jerry can.

"It's obvious he had a sleep in the car, woke up and had breakfast," Ms Napthali said

"He was thinking rationally. He waited for sunlight then got the esky and the jerry can and set off along the road.

"After that, we don't know what happened.

"It's hot, it's a big country. We have to widen our search.

"We have got to find something."

If you have any information please contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.