Letitia Delioglanis with a photo of Patch, her fox terrier who was poisoned.
Letitia Delioglanis with a photo of Patch, her fox terrier who was poisoned.

Poison treats kill fox terrier dog in Gladstone

WITHIN 24 hours of finding her pet dog Patch stumbling around the backyard, he was dead.

After taking Patch to the vet, Gladstone woman Letitia Delioglanis' worst fears were confirmed; her dog was the victim of poisoning.

According to RSCPA figures 114 dogs were baited with poison in Queensland last year, but the association is finding it hard to catch the culprits.

Ms Delioglanis said she found Patches shaking in his kennel around 7.30pm on June 9, "and as I called him to come out he just collapsed, he was delirious".

"The vet gave him so many drugs it would have put a labrador to sleep, but he just wasn't getting knocked out," she said.

"Because Patch was only a little fox terrier, the vet knew instantly that he had swallowed a large amount of poison."

She said she found two patches of vomit with several lots of poison in there along with dog biscuits.

"We hadn't fed him anything that day and we don't even have dog biscuits, so that's how we knew that someone called him, fed and poisoned him," she said.

"We don't know where it happened or who did it, but it would have been someone around our block."

She said she didn't know why Patch was poisoned.

"Some people are just sick and cruel," she said.

RSPCA spokesperson Michael Beatty said there were quite a few poisonings and it was often hard to prove who the culprit was.

He said poisonings often stemmed from disputes and issues such as dogs barking.

Mr Beatty said the RSPCA reluctantly accepted there was currently no alternative to baiting when it came to wild dogs.

"It's a horrible way for a dog to die," he said.