Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith and David Warner.
Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith and David Warner.

Motion to lift cricket bans to be given ‘due consideration’

CRICKET Australia chief executive Kevin Roberts has acknowledged his organisation has received a bid to lift the suspensions meted out to the banned trio due to the ball-tampering scandal, saying "the board will be respecting that submission and giving it due consideration".

Steve Smith and David Warner still have five months to run on their 12-month bans, while Cameron Bancroft has two months left on his nine-month sanction.

They were all punished by Cricket Australia for their involvement in using sandpaper to alter the surface of the ball in the Cape Town Test in South Africa in March.

However, the release of the Longstaff Review, in which failures at a governance level were identified as having contributed to the scandal, led the Australian Cricketers' Association to claim that amounted to new evidence and thus the bans should be cut short or rescinded.

"Given there is now independent verification that CA's system and culture were contributing factors, the ACA executive calls for the lifting of the board-imposed penalties on Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft," ACA president Greg Dyer said last week.

"We note that the Board of CA has both the power and in our view the moral obligation to do so.

"With this new information; common sense, common decency, basic fairness, proportionality which we have talked about from the outset, and natural justice demand that the punishment is reduced. The players have already lost time in the game, chances to play for Australia, endured public humiliation and faced massive financial penalties. They are contrite.

"My message to Cricket Australia is a simple one: these contrite men have been punished enough. Let them play. I add that the ACA will be relentless in pursuing this end."

Cricket Australia CEO Kevin Roberts speaks to the media.
Cricket Australia CEO Kevin Roberts speaks to the media.

Roberts, who took over as CA chief executive officer after David Peever stood down recently, said the proposal would be considered on its merits.

"The ACA's submission around the player sanctions was received by the board a few days ago," Roberts said on Wednesday.

"It was addressed by the board rather than to me or management, so it's not for me to comment on a board matter other than to say the board will be respecting that submission and giving it due consideration."