The man who was killed by a shark on the NSW mid-north coast was a devoted father who loved the ocean.

Mark Sanguinetti died after being attacked by a suspected 4.5m white shark in Tuncurry on Tuesday.

The 59-year-old surfer, from Sydney’s northern beaches, was bitten on his upper right thigh while surfing with friends just after 11am, and died at the scene.

Mark Sanguinetti, 59, was killed by a shark. Picture: Facebook.
Mark Sanguinetti, 59, was killed by a shark. Picture: Facebook.

Authorities confirmed four sharks had been caught, tagged and released on Wednesday morning at Tuncurry and Forster Main beaches, a day after the attack.

But authorities don’t believe any of the animals are the 4.5m white shark believed to have attacked Mr Sanguinetti on Tuesday.

A surfer died at Tuncurry Beach on Tuesday following a shark attack. Pic Dan Mills
A surfer died at Tuncurry Beach on Tuesday following a shark attack. Pic Dan Mills

Mr Sanguinetti’s family have planned a paddle-out in tribute of the much-loved surfer at Palm Beach later this month, with those who knew him or surfed with him invited to attend.

“We all knew him as a legend with a heart as deep and vast as the ocean, which was his first of many loves,” his daughters said.

“If you knew him, you understand how lucky you were to.”

Mr Sanguinetti, a passionate surfer and lover of the ocean, was on a surfing trip with friends when the incident occurred.

Mark Sanguinetti, 59, had tried to warn other people in the water before the shark turned on him. Picture: Facebook.
Mark Sanguinetti, 59, had tried to warn other people in the water before the shark turned on him. Picture: Facebook.

In a devastating twist, police revealed he had warned friends of the giant predator lurking in the water moments before he was bitten.

“It’s believed that when the attack occurred, the man did actually see the shark and called out to try to warn others and very heroically his friends were able to bring him back into shore after he had been attacked,” NSW Police Superintendent Chris Schilt said.

Tuncurry Beach. Picture: Google Maps.
Tuncurry Beach. Picture: Google Maps.

According to the DPI, there have been 268 detections of white sharks since April 1, 2021 in New South Wales waters.

“The four white sharks that have been caught, tagged and released this morning were two 2.5m white sharks at Main Beach Forster, and 2.3m and 2.43m sharks at Tuncurry Beach,” a DPI spokesperson said.

“The shark involved in yesterday’s incident was estimated to be 4.5m in length.”

NSW DPI is assisting NSW Police and Surf Life Saving to monitor the area, and beaches from Blackhead to Burgess remain closed.

“Sharks are a natural part of our environment. It is important to realise there are no silver bullets or 100 per cent guarantees when it comes to preventing an encounter with a shark,” the DPI spokesperson said.

“The annual mullet run is currently underway along the NSW east coast. This results in large schools of mullet moving … Sharks are attracted to large schools of fish.”

Tuncurry Beach remains closed on Wednesday. Dan Mills
Tuncurry Beach remains closed on Wednesday. Dan Mills

Originally published as Man who was killed by shark named