A woman as been assaulted after she refused to make her brother a coffee
A woman as been assaulted after she refused to make her brother a coffee

Woman assaulted after refusing to make brother coffee

A  MAN bashed his sister and damaged her kitchenware after she refused to make him a cup of coffee.

The man, 48, left his sister's Pimlico home on Wednesday night but was arrested when police found him at his own address a short time later.

The Rosslea man, who ­cannot be named for legal reasons, stayed in the watchhouse overnight and faced Townsville Magistrates Court yesterday. He pleaded guilty to assault and wilful damage.

Prosecutor Codie Rowe said the woman told police her brother became angry and she asked him to leave the house about 8pm.

"He picked up a fry pan, smashed it on the floor then approached the victim while she was lying in bed and struck her numerous times to the face," he said. "(He) then left the incident address."

Defence solicitor Helen ­Armitage said the man had gone to his sister's house as he was owed money.

She said he had also taken antidepressant medication ­offered by the woman, which he was not prescribed.

"It caused him to effectively pass out on the floor, where he slept for (an) hour," she said.

"He woke up and asked for a cup of coffee; she told him he has to go, refused the cup of coffee."

Ms Armitage said the man was still "in the fog" of the medication when he assaulted his sister.

"He is somebody who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and depression; he's under an involuntary treatment order," she said.

"His sister does owe him $150; that's not really the cause of the dispute, you could say it really was coming down to ­taking the medication that she's given him."

The woman was not injured in the attack.

Mr Rowe said the man ­became angry during arrest.

"He has stated to police that when he gets out of the watchhouse he will attend the ­victim's address and get her back," he said. "The defendant said he would assault the ­victim and threatened to stab her."

Acting Magistrate Richard Lehrmann said that although the man had no history of ­violence on his record, the common assault was too ­serious to be dealt with by a fine. He ­sentenced the man to nine months on probation.