Man in his 30s in ICU with coronavirus
A Victorian man in his 30s is now in intensive care after being struck down by coronavirus, making him one of the youngest Australians admitted to ICU with the illness so far.
Earlier today, the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services released fresh details surrounding the state's 26 residents currently being treated for COVID-19 in ICU.
Of those, 21 are on ventilators.
The youngest is a man in his 30s, followed by two men and two women in their 40s, one woman and four men in their 50s, four men and four women in their 60s and three men and three women in their 70s.
As of Tuesday, there are 4224 coronavirus cases in Victoria, including 270 new cases.
Of the new cases, 28 are linked to outbreaks and 242 are under investigation, although no new cases have been detected in a returned traveller in hotel quarantine.
There are 85 people are in hospital, including those 26 patients in intensive care and a total of 26 deaths.
There are 1803 cases currently active in the state and 2395 people have recovered.
More than 1.1 million test results have been received by the department since January 1.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said Victorian hospitals were bracing for at least a "couple of hundred" patients as the state's virus spike intensifies.
"That's a really significant number of people with coronavirus and it does mean that in the next fortnight, we're going to see a number of people who will require hospital," he said.
"There's often 10 to 20 per cent of all coronavirus infections who require hospitalisation, so that's a couple of hundred individuals at least.
"They will require hospitalisation in the next couple of weeks."
He said the aged care sector in particular was facing a "challenging situation" following outbreaks at several facilities, including Menarock Life aged care at Essendon.
"Often it's a single staff member or a few staff members, but (there are) a few significant outbreaks with a number of residents," he said.
"We haven't turned the corner yet.
"I hope to see that this week, but there are no guarantees."
Meanwhile, on Monday a worrying coronavirus cluster at a Victorian meat supplier sparked concerns of a looming shortage of meat products in Coles supermarkets.
Somerville Retail Services in Tottenham in west Melbourne supplies lamb, pork and beef to the grocery juggernaut - and as of yesterday, there were 12 COVID-19 cases linked to the company.
It was closed for deep cleaning in an effort to control the potential spread of the illness, and team members had been placed in isolation for testing.
Originally published as Man in his 30s in ICU with coronavirus