Troy Michael Adsett (left), and Geoffrey John Jeffcoat.
Troy Michael Adsett (left), and Geoffrey John Jeffcoat. Stuart Cumming

Lifesavers sent to jail over violent home invasion

THEY were highly regarded volunteers in the surf lifesaving movement with hundreds of hours of service between them.

Now Geoffrey John Jeffcoat and Troy Michael Adsett are going to jail.

The two pleaded guilty to six charges, including breaking into a home, assault, theft and damage to private property at a Mudjimba home on the night of June 4, 2016.

At least 15 people were in the gallery, many members of the Marcoola Surf club the men were actively involved in, as Magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist considered sentencing in the Maroochydore Magistrate's Court.

Many broke down as Mr Stjernqvist revealed the two would be spending time behind bars for their assault on two men, which left them with significant physical and psychological injuries.

Mr Stjernqvist said Jeffcoat, who was 43 in December, had been having an affair with one of the victim's wives.

This man was at the North Shore Tavern when Adsett, who was 35 in December, and Jeffcoat broke the front door of his Mudjimba home, damaged some surfboards and waited for him to come home.

The married man was "punched with a closed fist in the eye" by Jeffcoat before being kneed in the body by Adsett and he then lost consciousness.

His dog, which tried to protect him, was also punched.

Another person with the man was also punched and hit with a glass bottle by Adsett.

"You continued hitting him, you then got a metal pole and you follow him," Mr Stjernqvist said.

They both damaged and stole property.

Despite numerous glowing references from many senior figures in the surf lifesaving organisation, including Marcoola president Dave McLean, the men couldn't avoid jail.

Mr Stjernqvist said it necessary for the penalty to "reflect the seriousness of the offending".

He read out the victim impact statements and how their lives had been forever changed by what happened that night.

Even the wife wrote to the court "protesting her innocence".

Jeffcoat was given an 18 month sentence, suspended after four months for his role in the crime. The 25 days he spent behind bars after bail was denied would reduce his time spent in jail.

Mr Adsett, who had a prior criminal history, was also given an 18 months sentence, but suspended after five months. The 25 days spent in jail after bail was denied would also reduce this time.

Both men were were also required to pay compensation to the victims.