Jarryd Hayne has had his bail conditions altered. Picture: Damian Shaw
Jarryd Hayne has had his bail conditions altered. Picture: Damian Shaw

Hayne bail conditions changed over alleged sexual assault

OUT-of-contract NRL star Jarryd Hayne's strict bail conditions have been changed so he can enter Newcastle to attend court after he was charged with the sexual assault of a woman in the Hunter Valley region on grand final night.

The 30-year-old's matter was mentioned in Newcastle Local Court on Wednesday for the second time but he was not required to appear and was instead represented by a lawyer, Alessandro Albanese.

The case, which is the subject of intense public scrutiny, was adjourned until April 3.

In court on Wednesday, prosecutor Hamish Fitzhardinge said a brief of evidence against Hayne had been served but there was legal documents still "outstanding" and asked for the adjournment to which Magistrate Andrew Eckhold agreed.

 

"A brief has been served, but there is still material outstanding," Fitzhardinge said.

Albanese also asked for Hayne's strict bail conditions to be changed so he could enter Newcastle.

Under his bail conditions, Hayne must report to Castle Hill police station three times a week.

A previous condition was "not to enter Newcastle Local Government area".

Magistrate Eckhold permitted the alteration and also excused Hayne from appearing when the case returns to court in April.

Jarryd Hayne's lawyer Alessandro Albanese leaves Newcastle Court. Picture: Peter Lorimer.
Jarryd Hayne's lawyer Alessandro Albanese leaves Newcastle Court. Picture: Peter Lorimer.

Police allege Hayne sexually assaulted the woman, 26, on September 30 at a Hunter Valley home after talking with her on a social media app.

It is alleged he seriously injured her by biting her on the genitals while her mother was home.

Police charged him with aggravated sexual assault and inflicting actual bodily harm at Ryde police station in November last year.

Hayne's legal team has previously said he "maintains his innocence" and intends to plead not guilty.

He is also facing civil legal action in the US over claims he raped a woman during his time at the San Francisco 49ers NFL team in 2015.

Police declined to charge Hayne after investigating that allegation, and the woman involved lodged a civil suit.

His mention in court on Wednesday comes after a horror off-season by the NRL which has been plagued by unwelcomed player behaviour.