Johnson whacks Warriors
Shaun Johnson left the Warriors for two reasons it seems.
Firstly, the Kiwis half felt under-appreciated at the club he has steered around the park for the past eight seasons.
And secondly, he believes the Sharks offer the best opportunity to deliver him that elusive premiership.
Of course, Johnson and the Warriors have only featured in two finals series since his debut season in 2011 - when they were beaten in the grand final by the Sea Eagles.
The playmaker who won both the Four Nations and Golden Boot award in 2014, is clearly disappointed the Warriors didn't see him as their key man.
"They're a club that want to do well," Johnson said in his first press conference since linking up with Cronulla on a three-year deal.
"They're a club that's looking to win a premiership and if they don't see me as worthy of what they were paying me that's fine.
"People will say you're only worth X amount but at the end of the day it's irrelevant. We were all playing footy long before we got paid for it."
The 28-year-old insists the major factor in his move across the ditch was the allure of premiership glory, and not the likelihood of a vastly reduced salary in Auckland.
"If it was all about the money I would have stayed there. I would have stayed and played my contract out. I'm here to win a premiership," he continued.
"I know I can add value. I believe in myself, it doesn't matter what they're paying me.
"I think [a premiership] would be the most important thing to any player playing this game. That's why you do it.
"There are 15 teams out there with the exact same goal. That's all of our mindset and that's why I believe this is the greatest comp in the world."
Johnson's comments follow that of Warriors boss Brian Smith, who told Radio Sport Breakfast on Wednesday morning that the club was blindsided by the halfback's request for a release on November 27.
"We didn't expect [that] response to what we were hoping was going to be a discussion about the future with him," he said.
"We didn't really establish [Johnson's worth] because Shaun was in a position where he could have done that."
There were reports while Johnson was in England with the Kiwis squad that Warriors CEO Cameron George had announced the halfback was free to explore his options despite having a year to run on his contract, and without contacting Johnson directly.
In releasing him effective immediately last week, George said it was clear to the club that Johnson wanted out.
"On the basis of what Shaun told us, we are not going to compromise our culture on and off the field with people who do not wish to represent our club, members and fans in the way we expect," he said.
"Everything we do is about the club being first and what's best for our future, our development and ultimately our results."