Handy tips to help with those endless home renovations
HOME renovations can be painful. Not always physically, but emotionally also.
Most people would agree that you generally start a renovation, and months down the track… you are still contemplating finishing it.
Here are a few handy tips to help you with those endless home renovations. To get started and to get finished.
To begin you generally need to have the following on hand:
- Portable Drill / Driver
- Hand Saw
- Tape measure
- Screwdrivers and Pliers
- Safety Gear
- Caulking Gun
- Painting Gear
One of the best things you can do to get started with your home renovations is to seek professional advice from a licensed builder.
They will be able to advise you on what alternatives you have and can run through cost options that may fit your proposed works.
Another idea for do it yourself (DIY) renovations is to troll the internet for advice, or read home magazines - as many as you can get your hands on.
To complete your renovations, whether big or small, here is a list of handy tips to help you get the job finished and out of the way:
- Be realistic about your renovations. If the job is too large and your budget allows, it can often be easier getting a professional builder to finish the work. Keep in mind that you should shop around, get the best advice and best price in a realistic time frame.
- If possible, make sure you have all the essential materials needed. That way it's already there with you, and you won't need to keep making trips to your local hardware store.
- For DIY - set yourself a time frame and overall goal of accomplishment.
- For DIY - set yourself small goals within that time frame. This will help you stay on track.
- If possible, try and set dates ahead of time in which you will be working on your renovation project. For instance, some people like to make every second Saturday their date for renovations. If you have a family, find something each member can do to participate and make it a family affair.
- Set yourself rewards for keeping to your goals. It may be a family trip out, a lunch date, cold pack of beers or a movie. Whatever the reward, it is always better to have something to motivate you to finish the job.