"He lived for his son" friends say of lightning victim

FAMILY and friends are rallying behind a young Caloundra boy whose father was killed by a freak lightning strike at Inskip Point.

Eleven-year-old Jason Dixon was recovering in Nambour General Hospital yesterday, still coming to terms with the fact that he will not see his dad Kenny Dixon again.

The Dicky Beach father and son were on their annual Christmas camping trip, staying at the SS Dorrigo Campground just south of the ferry landing.

After a game of cricket on the beach late Friday afternoon, brewing storm clouds and lightning strikes at nearby Fraser Island prompted Mr Dixon and Jason to walk back to their campsite.

As they made their way to shelter, 42-year-old Mr Dixon was hit by a bolt of lighting and died.

Witnesses tried to revive him, but there was nothing they could do.

Long-time friend Katherine Sanson said Mr Dixon was "a good bloke, a wonderful dad and a real joker" who would be dearly missed.

With Mr Dixon the sole parent for Jason, Ms Sanson has offered to open her heart and her home to the youngster.

"I will treat him like I would treat any of my other kids," she said.

"Kenny was a great dad. He'd do anything for Jason.

"They loved going to rugby league together and the beach.

"Jason was his life.

"All they had in the world was each other."

Jason also was thrown on to the sand by the lightning strike, but suffered only minor injuries.

He was expected to be released from Nambour General Hospital late yesterday. Ms Sanson said Mr Dixon was a mechanic by trade and loved nothing more than working on cars in his backyard.

"He lived and breathed cars," she said.

"Since he was nine years old he was in a car or doing things with cars.

"He loved going in the forestry with his four-wheel drive and loved the bush.

"If there was a dirt track between here and Caloundra, he'd be on it.

"He was such a funny bloke. He would make me laugh all the time.

"He was my best mate."

Ms Sanson grew up across the road from Mr Dixon on the NSW Central Coast and they moved to the Sunshine Coast about the same time as each other 10 years ago.

Mr Dixon and Jason spent Christmas Day with Ms Sanson and her family.

In true fashion, his last words to her were a joke.

"Look at my goatee ... it's half grey. I must be half-stressed," he told her.

"When I was called by police at 10pm on Friday, I just fell to the floor," she said.

"It's still sinking in that this has happened."