Faulty equipment used on disabled man before death
PARAMEDIC training has been updated following the death of a disabled man in an assisted living facility who choked on a piece of meat, a coronial inquest has heard.
John Davis was living in a Sunshine Coast home under the care of Multicap when he died in early 2018.
An inquest into his death finished in Maroochydore yesterday and coroner John Lock will now prepare a written report.
The court heard a laryngoscope used by critical care paramedics to find the "rare" obstruction Mr Davis was suffering from was faulty.
The officer who used it had also only practised the technique in training on a dummy.
As a result, Queensland Ambulance Service has changed the type of laryngoscope used and requires paramedics to undergo a "two-hour masterclass" in obstructions.
During the inquest, the court heard Mr Davis had issues with swallowing and aspiration and had been advised to eat food in teaspoon-sized amounts.
Despite this, the piece of meat he choked on was 5-7cm long and 2-3cm wide.
A disability support worker heard a "thump" from the other room and ran in to find Mr Davis collapsed with "large veins" protruding from his neck.
Triple-0 was called and the staff member - who trained in Nigeria as a doctor - told the operator Mr Davis' vitals and was instructed to perform CPR.
He continued CPR until paramedics arrived and took over, with Mr Davis going into cardiac arrest before it was determined he had an airway obstruction which was eventually removed.
The inquest will consider issues including whether the health, disability and supported accommodation services provided to Mr Davis were adequate, as well as the support worker's training, and the resuscitation performed by QAS.