Candle caused fire that destroyed family's home

The scene of a house fire at Innes Park. Photo Contributed
The scene of a house fire at Innes Park. Photo Contributed Contributed

UPDATE: An unattended candle was the cause of the Innes Park house fire earlier today.

The family of four were woken by the smell of smoke and bursting paint tins just after 5am this morning.

A candle had been burning through the night and burnt out in the bathroom of the home.  

Renovations had been ongoing to the bathroom area and tins of paint located in the area burst as the heat quickly rose inside the home.

The family of four were taken to Bundaberg Hospital.

The three kids have been release but the mother remains suffering smoke inhalation after she attempted to put out the fire. 

Accompanied by a family friend, two young brothers, nine and 12 along with their 14-year-old sister returned to their Innes Park family home just after midday today.

The children attempted to salvage what they could and search for any surviving pets.

The mother spoke to the NewsMail from her hospital bed and said she was coping.

She said the house was insured and emergency accommodation had been arranged for the family.

EARLIER: A mother and her two children remain in hospital this morning after a fire gutted their Innes Park home.

Bundaberg Police Sergeant Mike Brown said police received the call just after 5am this morning.

"The house has been destroyed," Sgt Brown said.

He said fire crews and ambulance attended the Logan St blaze and the family were transported to Bundaberg hospital for observation. 

Bundaberg Police reported cause of the fire remained unknown as the Criminal Investigation Branch continued investigations.