Families appeal for more answers over double stabbing
The families of two men stabbed at Alva Beach have officially applied for a review of a coroners decision to stand down the man who inflicted the fatal wounds, Dean Webber, from giving any type of verbal evidence at the recent inquest.
Deputy State Coroner Jane Bentley made the decision to let Mr Webber give his evidence in writing due to his PTSD, at the highly anticipated inquest into the deaths of Thomas Davy and Corey Christensen earlier this month.
The legal teams for the families officially applied for a judicial review of Ms Bentley's decision in the Supreme Court yesterday, and a preliminary hearing has been set down in the Brisbane Supreme Court to try and get the order scratched.
The five day inquest at Cairns lifted the lid on the stabbing, hearing from about 20 witnesses, where Mr Davy and Mr Christensen were fatally stabbed at Mr Webber's Topton St home in October, 2018.
They were looking for Candice Locke, Mr Davy's girlfriend, who had run into the home to seek help after falling from a buggy and breaking her shoulder.
Mr Webber stabbed the men after they broke into him home, but police chose to never lay charges as his actions were deemed self defence.
Mr Webber told police that Ms Locke told him the men were "bad people" and he said they were yelling and threatening him from outside the house.
Ms Locke doesn't remember hearing any threats as she sat in Mr Webber's kitchen, but says she heard a scuffle inside.
Another man, Louis Bengoa, who was with the men at Mr Webber's house looking for Ms Locke, claims he went to urinate around the side of the house and came back around to see Mr Davy coughing up blood and running from the home.
Both men couldn't be saved, and the inquest highlighted the lack of urgency in the police response, who did not arrive until about 50 minutes later.
The inquest was adjourned for Mr Webber to complete his evidence in writing after his doctor claimed he was too traumatised to relive the events in person or over the phone.
The preliminary hearing into the coroners decision will be heard in Brisbane on Friday.
Originally published as Families appeal for more answers over double stabbing