Dogs doused with toxic chemicals
CALLOUS and cruel are the words to describe someone pouring toxic chemicals on the back of dogs, which happened in Gladstone last week.
Dog owner, Michelle Scott found both her dogs, Rocky and Hucky, had a black substance poured on their backs after returning home on Friday morning.
The dogs had escaped from their yard on Thursday, and were notorious for escaping, despite an electric fence.
The substance inevitably led to burning of the skin, which caused pain and agony by Sunday afternoon.
Ms Scott is now urging Gladstone residents to keep an eye on their pets.
“I just can’t understand why anyone would want to do that,” she said.
“Rocky was beside himself; howling, whimpering.”
RSPCA inspector Laurie Stageman is calling for people who know anything about the case to contact the RSPCA's cruelty hotline on 1300 852 188 or local police.
“We’ve had a couple of incidents in Bundaberg where someone’s poured battery acid over dogs,” he said.
“This is the first one of a chemical being poured on an animal in Gladstone since I’ve been here in August.
“I think its’ one of the lowest, callous acts to pour something like that on any animal.
“They wouldn’t like it done to them, so why do it to an animal?”
Gladstone Vet Clinic veterinarian Scott McAuley, who treated Rusty, said the injury looked similar to cases where someone has poured cattle tick dip on to dogs.
He said however, in those cases, the patches were smaller.
Mr McAuley said the injury was too big to be Frontline, with patches up to 4cm and 5cm wide.
He said it was a wait and see if the damaged skin falls off on its own and what the extent of Rusty’s injury is in about a week’s time before determining the next step to help Rusty.
“It’s gone mummified already,” Mr McAuley said.
He said Rusty may have a big hole in his back and end up having to have his skin pulled together and stitched up.