Defeat from jaws of victory for Power basketballers

IT WAS PERHAPS the one that got away.

Leading by as much as 23 points early in the second quarter, Gladstone Port City Power let slip a golden opportunity to go into the top half of the ladder after Logan Thunder stormed home to win 87-80.


The hosts were all over the Thunder with Ray Willis (31 points) running rampant and Tevin Jackson having the upper hand on Thunder firebrand and former Power player Justin Baker.

Willis put in shot after shot and at will either by drives that had Logan's defence bewildered on what to do while Remy Lawyer and Jackson were able allies to another Willis masterclass.

Jake Allen made tough baskets against much taller Logan opponents.

But it all changed in the most dramatic of fashion after the hosts led 31-12 at quarter-time and still held a 14-point advantage at half-time.

Baker did all he could and some with 17 points for Logan while Willis stared at a half century at game's end with 26 at the break.

Slowly but surely the men from Logan, on the back of Baker (23 points, three triples) who let the crowd know of his ability, edged closer and closer.

Daniel Sepokas connected a triple for 61-52 before Gladstone steadied on a 6-0 run.

Illiwa Baldwin's put-back slam dunk just prior to the three-quarter-time buzzer put momentum back in Logan's favour.

It did face a 13-point deficit and amid the chaos earlier in the match - there was one man who did not get shorter.

In fact he became a beacon when the heat was applied.

Ex Cairns Taipan and Townsville Croc NBL centre Mitch Young (21 points) took ownership of the final stretch with his presence inside the paint while Luke Cann made three triples virtually from the same spot on the elbow of the key way.

It was a 31-11 rout in the final 12 minutes as the men from Gladstone were left powerless to what had happened.


Logan Thunder 87 (J Baker 21, M Young 21, M Cedar 10) d Gladstone Port City Power 80 (R Willis 31, J Allen 14, R Lawyer 13)