Community rallies for duo after 'terrifying' inferno
TIMMY Supaman locked up his business and was preparing to head home last Thursday when he turned to see every owner's worst nightmare - smoke pouring from his workspace.
Inside the North Toowoomba shed was everything he and partner Leesa Sheedy had worked on for three years, as they built their business Timmy's Unique Furniture from a home venture to something bigger.
Mr Supaman called the emergency services and then could only watch as the couple's hard work went up in flames.
"I had the garden hose and was trying to do what I could, but it was terrifying," he said.
The shed had been filled with wooden pallets used to make custom furniture and a range of tools, one of which is believed to have caused the blaze.
"When I opened the door, the back bench was on fire, and that's where I keep my cordless tools," he said.
"We think something happened with the lithium batteries."
The couple predicts they have lost $30,000 worth of stock and materials.
In a post to their GoFundMe page, Ms Sheedy said the business was uninsured at the time of the fire.
"We were unable to yet afford it with costs of living, children to feed, bills to pay, house and car insurance and the list goes on," she said.
"We never expected a simple cordless battery explosion could destroy our lives."
However, just when all seemed lost, the couple has been "lifted" by Toowoomba's community spirit.
In the days following the fire, residents donated tools, Trailaskips provided half-price service, and the couple has been offered a short-term base for their business.
"We've already had a lot of great support from customers, the community and our family - we just want to say thank you, it's because of this we are motivated to keep going."
The couple said they hoped to rebuild the business to its former glory.
To donate to the family, visit bit.ly/2katIGD or contact Leesa on 0439 250 876.