Community rallies to help family hit by fire
FOUR-year-old Isabelle Cadman has had a bittersweet end to her very first week of prep, saying goodbye to her beloved pet cockatiel Chip.
Chip was an unfortunate victim of the fire that broke out at her Wantley St family home last week.
Local fire-fighters not only saved the home, they kindly donated a new feathery friend for Isabelle who couldn't be happier.
Caused by either an electrical fault or an iron, the blaze sparked in the family's laundry, only to be spotted by a neighbour who went out on his lawn to fetch the Warwick Daily News.
"It was billowing out the window," said the neighbour, who alerted authorities while Isabelle's mum, Chloe Mullins, and her two brothers were out for the morning.
An off-duty policeman who lived down the street doused the fire with a garden hose until those on duty arrived.
Onlookers said fire-fighters arrived on the scene within minutes.
Unfortunately it was too late for Chip.
"We left at a quarter to eight and the police called at 10 to 10 to tell me my house was on fire," Ms Mullins said.
The family of five are not able to return home due to extensive smoke and flame damage to the laundry, kitchen and bathroom.
"We are still in shock," said Ms Mullins, who is currently staying with friends.
Isabelle and her two little brothers' toys were also destroyed in the blaze.
Father Jac Cadman - who was part of the Warwick auxiliary fire brigade until 2012 - knew the drill.
"Being on the other end is not very nice," he said.
"Luckily none of Isabelle's uniforms were caught in the fire," Ms Mullins added.
In another bout of good luck, the urn of the boys' deceased triplet was also saved from the fire.
"Jac was getting it engraved as a surprise for me, so we were very fortunate it was saved," she said.
"I just want to say a massive thank you to the police and everyone involved; we are very grateful for all of your efforts."
The family say they have been very fortunate to receive support from the community around them.
Ms Mullins' workplace has provided the family with groceries until insurance money is provided.
As for the new cockatiel - dubbed Tweetsy - he has been spoilt by Isabelle already.