Lindy Yvonne Williams is accused of killing George Gerbic.
Lindy Yvonne Williams is accused of killing George Gerbic.

Waiting game in burning torso murder trial

SHE is accused of murdering her partner before dumping his dismembered torso and setting it alight.

But jurors have so far been unable to decide whether Lindy Yvonne Williams is guilty of murder.

The Crown has claimed Ms Williams murdered Tanawha man George Gerbic and then spent months smearing his name.

Ms Williams, 60, has pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to interfering with a corpse.

Mr Gerbic, 66, was dismembered and his torso found in a grass fire near Gympie on September 19, 2013.

Justice Peter Flanagan finished summing up the case at Brisbane Supreme Court on Thursday morning.

He said if jurors found Ms Williams not guilty of murder, they'd have to consider whether she was guilty of manslaughter.

Earlier, defence counsel Simon Lewis said his client might have killed Mr Gerbic "accidentally or in a combination of self-defence and accidentally".

He said there was no dispute Ms Williams was involved in dismembering the body.

But Mr Lewis said "any number of reasons" other than murder could explain why Ms Williams did not call police immediately after her partner's death.

He said a "violent act of madness" or "inexplicable explosion" by Mr Gerbic might've preceded a fatal fight with Ms Williams.

Ms Williams claimed Mr Gerbic attacked her, slipped in her blood and hit his head on a granite kitchen top.

She claimed she went to a motel, then returned to home to find the dismembered torso in an ensuite.

Mr Gerbic, suffered "an ignominious end that he did not deserve" prosecutor Todd Fuller told jurors.

Mr Gerbic was decapitated and his hands cut off before his torso was found.

His remains were only identified 10 months later.

Jurors heard Ms Williams told people Mr Gerbic was overseas, and claimed Mr Gerbic had a secret bisexual lover.

Mr Fuller said multiple messages were sent from a dead Mr Gerbic's email account to his relatives and friends.

The "cold, manipulative, deceptive" purpose of these emails, Mr Fuller said, was to keep everyone thinking Mr Gerbic was alive.

Jurors will continue deliberations on Friday. -NewsRegional