HELPED END DROUGHT: Aidan Toua scored a late try to help the Brumbies to a win over the Kings.
HELPED END DROUGHT: Aidan Toua scored a late try to help the Brumbies to a win over the Kings. LUKAS COCH

Brumbies end Super Rugby drought

AN AUSTRALIAN Super Rugby team has finally won in South Africa this season.

The Brumbies beat one of the worst-performing South African teams, the Kings, 19-10 in Port Elizabeth.

The Brumbies lead the Australian conference by seven points while the Kings are bottom of the Africa 2 conference. Both have four wins and seven losses

Despite the Brumbies' abundance of possession throughout, the Kings' defence kept them in the game.

They led 10-5 at half-time, but conceded two tries in the final quarter.

Tries by winger Aidan Toua and fullback Tom Banks inside the last 16 minutes saw the Brumbies home.

"It is a great achievement to be the first Australian winners in South Africa this year,” Brumbies skipper lock Sam Carter said.

"We travelled from Canberra with a winning mindset and let us hope it continues in Argentina next weekend against the Jaguares.

"In recent matches we secured lots of possession without translating it into points, so tonight marked a nice change for us.

"I wondered early in the second half if we were going to fail again as the Kings kept repelling our attacks, but all the pressure finally paid off.”

Kings skipper and fly-half Lionel Cronje hailed a "valiant effort” by his team.

"We were working off scraps of possession and were unable to keep the Brumbies at bay in the closing stages.”

A penalty try got the Kings off to a flying start and reduced Brumbies to 14 men with Banks sin-binned for tackling a man without the ball.

Cronje slotted a penalty on 17 minutes for a 10-point lead, but it was the last time the hosts scored.

Brumbies took advantage of Kings prop Ross Geldenhuys being yellow-carded for the fourth time this season when hooker Josh Mann-Rea scored off a rolling maul.

A brilliant kick into space by scrum-half Joe Powell set up Toua for his try and fly-half Wharenui Hawera converted to put the Australians 12-10 ahead.

Banks won a race for possession to score and Hawera converted.