Bishop confirms death of contractor at Australian Embassy

UPDATE: A security contractor at the Australian embassy in Baghdad has been shot dead.

The former Australian special forces soldier was an employee of the Unity Resources Group, which provides security to Australian diplomats and staff at the embassy and in the Iraqi capital.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop confirmed the 34-year-old man's death.

"I confirm the death of a 34 year old Australian security contractor working at the Australian Embassy in Baghdad.

"The Government extends its condolences to the family of the Australian man over this tragic incident. All appropriate assistance is being provided to his family.

"The circumstances surrounding his death will be thoroughly investigated.

"He was working for Unity Resources Group, providing security services to the Australian Embassy.

I am advised the high level of security is being maintained at the Embassy.

"In light of the ongoing investigation, and out of respect for the man's family, the Australian Government will not provide further comment at this time.

"The government extends its condolences to the family of the Australian man over this tragic incident," she said.

"All appropriate assistance is being provided to his family."

The Australian embassy is located within the International Zone in Baghdad.


EARLIER: A shooting near the Australian Embassy in Baghdad has resulted in the death of one person, according to reports just in.

Nine News is reporting one person has died.

The government has confirmed the shooting, Seven reported.

There are unconfirmed reports a soldier had been killed and an army officer was injured by a sniper in al-Latifiyah area south of Baghdad.

Julie Bishop's office has confirmed the shooting but said the status of the victim is unknown.

Local media reported the following statement: "This evening, a sniper targeted a [security] checkpoint for the Iraqi army in the vicinity of al-Latifiyah south of Baghdad, resulting in the death of one soldier and wounding an officer."

"A security force rushed to the area of the incident and transferred the injured to a nearby hospital to receive medical treatment and the dead body to the forensic medicine authority."