Photo exhibition shows life in Gladstone and Japan
MULTICULTURAL Week festivities continue with the official launch of the Intercity Images Exhibition launch yesterday.
The exhibition explores a diverse photographic exchange between Gladstone and Sister City Saiki, Japan.
Gladstone locals took images from around the region and submitted them to the art gallery.
Thirty photographs were selected for the annual event as well as 20 photographs taken by photographers in Saiki, Japan.
The two collections were put on display in the art gallery as a form of showcasing two completely different cultures side by side.
Gallery and Museum Curator Jo Anne Duke said it was an exciting way to exhibit showcases from around the world.
"It's amazing how lucky we are to have a bit of a peek into an entirely different culture," she said.
"Past years the photographs we received from Saiki have been very formal, but as the years progressed the photographs have become more relaxed and creative.
The exhibition will continue all of this week at the Gladstone Region Art Gallery and Museum and will finish on Sunday.
For information contact, 4976 6714.
WHAT'S ON THIS WEEK
- Kindergarten Open Day, C& K Kin Kora Kindergarten, 84 Sun Valley Rd. 10am-noon Parents, 3-5pm Community
- Celebrating Cultures Story Time, Kids Happy Hour, Mount Larcom Library, 10.30am
- Celebrating Cultures Story Time, Kids Happy Hour, Agnes Water Library, 10am, Gladstone City Library, 11am
- Flavours of the World, each day until Sunday, lunch 11.30am-2.30pm, dinner 5.30pm-9.30pm, Encore Restaurant, Yaralla Sports Club, Latin Wednesday at Lightbox, Goondoon St, 7.30pm
- Celebrating Cultures Story Time, Kids Happy Hour, Gladstone City Library, 11am
- Celebrating Cultures Story Time, Kids Happy Hour, Calliope Library and Boyne Island Libraries, 11am
- Dare to be Different Event, Gladstone PCYC, 6.30-8.30pm, ages 12-17
- Open Up Your Universe, CQUniversity Gladstone Marina Campus, 9am-2pm
- Multicultural Festival, Gladstone Marina Parklands 9am-4pm