Police out in force to keep New Year's Eve violence-free
NEW Year's Eve is upon us and for many it signals a night of unabashed partying, whether to forget the year that was, or draw out the remaining hours of what has been a great year.
Either way, Gladstone police have warned revellers to keep their partying to a harmless night of frivolity, not one of violence, starting the new year in lockup or worse.
Gladstone station officer in charge Senior Sergeant Jason Chetham warned there would be a strong police presence on Tuesday night to ensure people were able to enjoy their celebrations safely.
"There'll be a lot of police working not only in the CBD but in the suburbs as well," Snr Sgt Chetham said.
"There's also going to be a lot of breath testing going on, not only on New Year's Eve but New Year's Day too, so our message is do not drink and drive."
He said people should have a good time but continue the relatively good behaviour that had been experienced over the festive period so far.
"I'd say to people 'don't overdo it'; enjoy themselves and have a good time, but don't overdo it," he said.
Assistant Commissioner for Central Region Mike Condon said police would target entertainment precincts.
"We are ramping up for New Year's Eve celebrations," he said.
"There'll be over 500 staff on duty in the region and in excess of 50 staff in Gladstone on the night, with reserves on call if required."
He advised people to plan their night in a safe manner, to look after their mates and to remember that violence was unacceptable.
"Fighting's not okay and people need to end their night safely by not drinking and driving," he warned.